Hi, I am Ms. Treml and I am getting ready for my 8th year teaching kindergarten! I absolutely love laughing and learning with my students everyday!! I also love sharing my ideas with others and I look forward to gaining new ideas as well! In my free time, I am usually reading other teaching blogs, reading a good book, creating new projects for my students, enjoying the outdoors, and spending time with my wonderful family and friends!
1. How far into the school year do you think kinders need to be to be able to begin the process of Read to Self? What is realistic? When do you plan to begin implementation?
I would hope I would be able to begin implementation around the second week of school.
2. How will you make sure that each child views him/herself as a reader (whether they are reading words or not)?
I always start out the year saying everyone is a reader. I hold up the Lego container and I ask the students to read the word. Magically, they all can! Everyone comes into kindergarten as a reader and it is harder to explain that to the parents than the students!
3. What are some ideas you have about "Launching Read to Self" in kindergarten? How will you go about it and what are some ways to make sure it is "kinder friendly"?
4. How will you/do you build the children's belief that this IS important? What can we do to encourage the ones who do not value it and create disruptions for others?
5. How valuable is Checking In and Reviewing with kindergarteners? How often will you do it? When will you do it? What are some different ways to "check in"?
6. What are some problems that can occur during this problem (either that you anticipate with your kinders OR that you have experienced)? How can we be proactive about these issues?