»

Friday, July 6, 2012

Daily 5 in K: Chapter 3



1. Establish a gathering place for brain and body breaks.
I have a learning space I use in my classroom.  The large carpet in this area consists of individual colored squares.  I also use the carpet to complete quick human graphs.  I do need to think of a creative name that may go along with my theme.  Last year, my classroom theme was construction and I am still undecided about this coming year. 

2. Developing the concept of "good fit" books.
In the past, I have given my students their independent reading level to choose books from our school library and for the classroom library.  In the leveled buckets, I told the students to check to see if they can read the first five words.  I have not really discussed why we should choose a good fit book, so I am excited to incorporate this idea.  I love the idea of using Goldilocks because so many kids can relate to the story.  I also love the idea of using shoes, because what child has not put on their parent's shoes and pranced around to get a good laugh!

3. Create anchor charts with students.
I love the idea of creating anchor charts with my students.  I was wondering do you use the same anchor chart each year or do you create a new one every year?  I was thinking about creating a template and getting it laminated so I could write the directions with the students each year.  Right now, I store my anchor charts and posters in a wonderful case my dad has built for me.  I will hang charts where they would be most effective in the classroom.

4. Short, repeated intervals of independent practice and setting up book boxes.  How are you going to keep track of stamina? What will you use for book boxes? What are you going to put in those book boxes on the 1st day of school?
To build stamina, I want to create goals as a class and celebrate those goals.  I will keep track of how many minutes we can read to self and create a graph to show how we have built up stamina.  Right now, I use cereal boxes for book boxes.  These are a bit too small and I am hoping I can come up with another inexpensive idea to create book boxes.  At the beginning of the year, I like to put in easy reader I Spy Books that I bought from Scholastic.  They are also great for long field trips.

5. Calm Signals and check in procedures.  Do you already have a signal? How will you handle check ins?
My transition signal right now is a harmonica.  I have added a chime wand to my wish list.  I remember seeing one at a workshop I went to and I had forgotten about it until I read someones blog post.  I am definitely going to incorporate the check system the sisters mentioned.  I love the idea of a thumbs up or sideways by their heart!!

6. Using the correct model/incorrect model approach for demonstrating appropriate behaviors.  Will you keep track of inappropriate behaviors? If they are not doing what is expected, then they are calling out for attention...what other ways can you give them some extra attention so that they can be more independent during D5?
I will keep track of inappropriate behavior.  What I love about creating a community in the classroom, is when a student is exhibiting inappropriate behavior another student may address that behavior or a lot of times I see kids ignore the behavior and then it will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment